Monday, May 18, 2009

Let me introduce my Garden







This year I am tending my first garden. I live in a rental house, and am lucky enough that at some point in the past someone who lived here had a garden. While digging it up I found a few of the plastic plant markers, and there is a small garden shed there, built on the back of the garage. It was some time ago though, because it turned into a weed field. I started digging it out in March and have since been clearing, digging, composting, planting. I can't seem to have enough space, I keep wanting to plant more. My plan was to plant everything from seed, but I did end up buying a few herb seedlings. I did plant leeks, arugula, 2 types each of lettuce, onions, carrots and cucumbers, 3 each of hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes and beans. I also planted some vine peach, I'm not exactly sure what it is, some type of melon. I have yet to plant my watermelon, squash and pumpkins, the pumpkin patch is not large enough so I have to dig some more out, I'll probably do that tomorrow.


My lettuces are doing excellent, and my onions look okay. I think that some of the beans sprouted, I noticed just this morning. The problem with the beans is that I found some of them on top of the dirt, cracked open. I'm working on putting up a little fence around to keep the critters out.















No comments:

Post a Comment